- To be a think tank for governance and policy reforms, cutting across administrative, social, economic, and financial spheres;
- To function as a national repository of information on best practices, initiatives and methodologies that promote good governance, e-governance, innovation and change management within the government and its parastatal organizations;
- To initiate and participate in action research and capacity-building on various aspects of regulatory and development administration, public policy, governance, and public management at the national, state, and local levels;
- To advise on key issues in governance and develop synergy across various ministries/ departments of the Government of India and various state governments;
- To promote sharing and replication of innovative ideas and best practices in governance; and
- To interact with national and international organizations, in and outside the government, engaged in research and capacity building in these spheres.